Bartica is a lively, somewhat edgy mining services town. It is wealthy by Guyanese standards as a result of gold mining, and prices, while inexpensive by international standards, are higher than elsewhere in Guyana.
Tidal range at springs is 2.4m.
Anchor: off town in 3-8m in mud with good holding. Avoid anchoring near the ferry terminal or obstructing ferry paths. Ensure that the boat is well lit as barges and commercial traffic pass here day and night, as well as many high-speed water taxis.
- tying up to landing places directly on the shoreside wall.
- Between the Stelling and the market hall, there is a green-roofed shack on a large, somewhat dilapidated jetty with newly constructed wooden landing steps. This used to be the Kool Breezes bar but it is now closed. Tie up to the steps, avoiding blocking the water taxis.
- 200m upriver, after the two fuel pontoons, there is a small red building with a blue roof. This is Sunil´s Boat House run by Winston which has 24/7 staff , video security recording, friendly and trustworthy local helpers and a tame green parrot. They will look after your dinghy for a small tip or a beer. They also have propane, petrol, diesel, and soft drinks available 24/7, albeit at prices higher than elsewhere in town.
Check in/out is easier than elsewhere in Guyana as cruising yachts have been processed previously.
Ashore: plenty of bars and restaurants including several Brazilian ones. Nightlife is quite intense, especially at weekends when the gold miners come in from the jungle goldfields to let off steam. The town has a good market with fruit, vegetables, fish and meat, several small supermarkets, a small hospital and, several hardware stores. It is possible to get propane cylinders filled via the hardware stores with a turnaround time of a few days.
Hardware stores and marine services:
- Balram & Sons , Tel:(592) 455 2958. Variety store - also provides battery charging, re-acid, air and vulcanizing services
- M. F. Yassin hardware and mining supply store in Bartica carries a small range
of spares for Perkins diesels and Yamaha outboards, and can help with inboard or outboard engine repairs. They also have a range of general hardware, e.g. tools, hoses, connectors, etc, and sell gasoline generators. Tel:(592) 455 2793/455- 2334 . Address: 28 First Ave Bca
- M. I. Yassin , Tel:(592)455 2329. General Hardware
- Takur Persaud & Sons, Tel:(592)455 2497. Hardware material, propane, welding, gas etc
- M F Yassin , Tel:(592) 455 2793. Engine and outboard spares.
- Mohamed Ayube Khan (bull) , Tel:(592) 455 2761. Mechanical and other boat services.
- Orin Williams , Tel:(592)455 2408/613 2193. Mechanic
- Deven and Mohabir , Tel:(592) 455 2783 / 2742. Sail repairs, joinery, leather craft.